Vermont: Restaurant Advertising Its Bacon Forced To Remove Sign After “Offended” Muslim Complains
In the Land of the Free you evidently have no right to offend the perpetually offended. What is truly offensive here, however, is not a sign that advertised bacon, but the fact that the restaurant felt it was necessary to remove it …
Qur’an Sura 5:3, “Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked a name other than that of Allah.”
By Hannah McDonald, WPTZ News – “A sign on a lamp post at the bottom of the Winooski Circle displayed the words ‘Yield Sneakers Bacon’ until Friday morning. The bistro owners took it down.
It got there as part of ‘Operation Bloom.’
A city program put it in place to keep its flower beds beautiful. If businesses do some gardening they can post an advertisement where they do it, but the word ‘bacon’ on the Sneakers Bistro sign started a discussion about diversity on the Winooski Front Porch Forum.
It started with a post from one woman who wrote that the sign was insensitive to those who do not consume pork. She said as a Muslim she is personally offended by it.
The owners of Sneakers spoke to WPTZ. They say they’ve reached out to the individual who made the post and proactively took the sign down. They also say they regret any harm caused by the sign, and that their goal was never to cause stress or bad feelings.
‘It’s nice that they were respectful enough to take it down,’ said Caleb Wiley an area resident, ‘but I also think they shouldn’t have, or had to at any right.’
Other Winooski residents joined the conversation, and online too. One post reads the word ‘bacon’ is not offensive. It’s something that describes food.
Winooski’s city manager spoke on behalf of the city. She said:
‘The cool part of living in a diverse community is that it’s not always comfortable. It’s a fascinating place with lots of opportunities for conversation. The City has to pay attention to a lot of factors while acting within what we can regulate,’ said Katherine ‘Deac’ Decarreau.” Read more.
Flashback: What God Has Made Clean Still Isn’t Clean In Islam
- Pork Products And Saliva Leave British Muslims Fearing For Their Lives
- Muslim Care Home Owner Bans Pensioners from Eating Bacon Sandwiches
- France: Muslim Men Attack 23-Year-Old Man … For Eating A Ham Sandwich
- France Producing Halal Toothpaste, Imam Will Ensure It Is 100% Pork Free
- France: Butcher Terrorized And Driven Out By Muslims Because He Sold Pork
- Denmark: Angry Muslims Assault Meat Retailer Workers After Pork Traces Found In Food
- Pennsylvania: Muslim Convert Threatens To Kill Mother After Being Given Pork For Dinner
- Germany: Turkish MP Beaten By Muslims For Ordering Pork Sausage During Ramadan
- UK: Primary School Lunch Lady Of 11 Years Fired For Accidentally Serving Pork To 7-Year-Old Muslim Student