UK: Two Illegal Muslim Men Hired As Security For London Olympics
Not sure what’s to blame here — political correctness, laziness, pure incompetence, a security firm who bit off more than it can chew, or perhaps something else in the mix. Considering all the revelations that have been unfolding recently, it looks to me like we’re reading the ingredients of a recipe for disaster. But no need to worry, apparently, because according to the authorities their “commitment to safety and security continues” …
The men, who are believed to be from Pakistan, had secured jobs with the under-fire firm to work at the City of Coventry stadium, which is due to host 12 matches.
Officers swooped on the venue after their alleged bogus status is said to have been revealed in an accreditation check by G4S, which has been criticised after failing to provide enough staff for the Games.
The firm, which last week admitted it could not meet its contracted target of 10,400 guards despite employing 650,000 people worldwide, then notified the police and UK Border Agency.
The men, who are aged 21 and 24, worked for East Midlands Security and would have been part of the effort to ‘lockdown’ the venue in a bid to guard it from terror attacks.
Police today confirmed they were working with officials from the UK Border Agency while further checks were made on their immigration status.
Assistant Chief Constable Sharon Rowe, of West Midlands Police, said: ‘A 21-year-old man was arrested on Tuesday 17 July 2012 at 3pm on suspicion of breach of immigration laws.
‘A 24-year-old man was arrested on Wednesday 18 July 2012 at 10.47am on suspicion of breach of immigration laws.
‘The arrests by UK Borders Agency followed the proactive security checks carried out by the accreditation centre at City of Coventry Stadium in preparation for the forthcoming Olympic football matches.
‘West Midlands Police are working with officials from UK Borders Agency and the men remain in custody pending further enquiries by UKBA regarding their immigration status.
‘Our commitment to safety and security continues.’” Read more.
Flashback: UK: ‘Dirty Bombs’ May Have Been Missed By Private Border Staff As Summer Games Approach – “Security guards working for Serco, the private contractor drafted in to protect Britain’s borders during the Olympics, have been at the centre of a series of security breaches that have allowed vehicles to enter the UK without screening for ‘dirty bombs’. Concerns about queues and job cuts at the UK Border Agency forced the Home Office to bring in private guards to man radars designed to detect radiation at major ports. But Serco staff who took on the roles once occupied by public sector officials in mid-May have been at the centre of security scares.” Read more.