Not sure what’s to blame here — political correctness, laziness, pure incompetence, a security firm who bit off more than it can chew, or perhaps something else in the mix. Considering all the revelations that have been unfolding recently, it looks to me like we’re reading the ingredients of a recipe for disaster. But no need to worry, apparently, because according to the authorities their “commitment to safety and security continues” …
The men, who are believed to be from Pakistan, had secured jobs with the under-fire firm to work at the City of Coventry stadium, which is due to host 12 matches.
Officers swooped on the venue after their alleged bogus status is said to have been revealed in an accreditation check by G4S, which has been criticised after failing to provide enough staff for the Games.
The firm, which last week admitted it could not meet its contracted target of 10,400 guards despite employing 650,000 people worldwide, then notified the police and UK Border Agency.
The men, who are aged 21 and 24, worked for East Midlands Security and would have been part of the effort to ‘lockdown’ the venue in a bid to guard it from terror attacks.
Police today confirmed they were working with officials from the UK Border Agency while further checks were made on their immigration status.
Assistant Chief Constable Sharon Rowe, of West Midlands Police, said: ‘A 21-year-old man was arrested on Tuesday 17 July 2012 at 3pm on suspicion of breach of immigration laws.
‘A 24-year-old man was arrested on Wednesday 18 July 2012 at 10.47am on suspicion of breach of immigration laws.
‘The arrests by UK Borders Agency followed the proactive security checks carried out by the accreditation centre at City of Coventry Stadium in preparation for the forthcoming Olympic football matches.
‘West Midlands Police are working with officials from UK Borders Agency and the men remain in custody pending further enquiries by UKBA regarding their immigration status.
‘Our commitment to safety and security continues.’” Read more.
Flashback: UK: ‘Dirty Bombs’ May Have Been Missed By Private Border Staff As Summer Games Approach – “Security guards working for Serco, the private contractor drafted in to protect Britain’s borders during the Olympics, have been at the centre of a series of security breaches that have allowed vehicles to enter the UK without screening for ‘dirty bombs’. Concerns about queues and job cuts at the UK Border Agency forced the Home Office to bring in private guards to man radars designed to detect radiation at major ports. But Serco staff who took on the roles once occupied by public sector officials in mid-May have been at the centre of security scares.” Read more.
Colorado: Gunman Goes On Maniacal Killing Spree At ‘Dark Knight’ Opening In Aurora, ABC News Tries To Blame It On Conservatives
Today, it looks like ABC ought to be labelled “Absolutely Bogus Coverage”. Welcome to 21st century leftist media, where even those claiming to report the news could never allow a serious crisis go to waste, where “fact” may often be as distorted as the political leanings of those reporting it. At any moment we can now expect the liberal left to leverage this terrible tragedy for a political fight against the Second Amendment …
By Joel B. Pollak, Breitbart – “On Good Morning America, ABC News’ Brian Ross and George Stephanolpoulos suggested that the Tea Party might be connected to the mass shootings early this morning in an Aurora, CO theater during a screening of the new Batman movie, The Dark Knight Rises. The mainstream media attempted to blame the Tea Party for the Tuscon shootings in January 2011, shortly after Republicans swept the midterm elections. Now, in the critical 2012 elections, the mainstream media seems poised to do the same–and ABC News has led the way…
How interesting that Ross and ABC News should think to look to the Tea Party website first–and to broadcast politically volatile information without verifying if that ‘Jim Holmes’ is the same as the suspect.
The ‘Jim Holmes’ page on the Colorado Tea Party website is advertising an event with Middle East commentator Brigitte Gabriel next Thursday, July 26–hardly the behavior of a man who expected to be committing a deadly crime on July 20 for which he would certainly be apprehended and might not survive.
Look for more scapegoating from the mainstream media and the Democrats in the hours and days to follow.
UPDATE: The James Holmes arrested at the Aurora theater was 24 years old
and seems to be from Denver, CO, according to a Facebook profile (a similar Facebook profile linked by a local news reporter has not been confirmed as the suspect’s profile, either). There are many people with the name “James Holmes” in the area, and the James Homes on the Tea Party website could match a James Homes from Aurora, CO who is in his fifties and therefore does not fit the description of the suspect. More evidence that Ross, Stephanolpoulos and ABC rushed to blame the Tea Party without confirmation that the suspect is also the Tea Party member.” Read more.
Breitbart Exclusive: Contra ABC News, Dark Knight Aurora, CO Shooting Suspect James Holmes Could Be Registered Democrat – “James Holmes, the suspect arrested in connection with the mass shootings at a screening of the new Batman movie early this morning in Aurora, CO, could be a registered Democrat, according to documents obtained by Breitbart News… Fox News reports that the suspect has a California-issued social security number, as does the man in the documents obtained by Breitbart News–a significant correlation, assuming the sources are independent. Furthermore, the James Holmes for whom records were obtained by Breitbart News registered as a Democrat on June 14, 2011. He registered from an address in La Plata County, Colorado, and his status is listed as ‘inactive.’” Read more.
Saudi Arabia: Muslim Authorities Warn All Non-Muslims To ‘Bow’ To Allah During Ramadan, Or Face Consequences
Yes, all non-Muslims in Saudi Arabia must be forced to behave like devout Muslims, just like all Muslims in the West are forced to behave like Christians …
Associated Press – “RIYADH, Saudi Arabia – Saudi authorities are warning non-Muslim expatriates against eating, drinking or smoking in public during Ramadan, the monthlong sunrise-to-sunset fast — or face expulsion.
The Interior Ministry of the oil-rich kingdom is calling on non-Muslims to ‘show consideration for feelings of Muslims’ and ‘preserve the sacred Islamic rituals.’
Otherwise, a statement says, Saudi authorities will cancel violators’ work contracts and expel them.
The warning came on Friday, the first day of the Ramadan observance.
In addition to Saudi Arabia’s 19 million citizens, there are nearly 8 million Asian workers in the country, as well as hundreds of thousands of other foreign expatriates from around the globe, according to government figures.
Saudi Arabia, the ultraconservative Sunni kingdom, is the home of Islam’s holiest sites. It enforces a strict interpretation of the religion.” Source – Fox News.
Saudi Arabia Considers Law Against Insulting Islam – “Saudi Arabia is studying new regulations to criminalise insulting Islam, including in social media, and the law could carry heavy penalties, a Saudi paper said on Sunday. The potential regulations come five months after a Saudi blogger and columnist Hamza Kashgari, 23, was arrested for tweeting comments deemed as insulting the Prophet Mohammad. Kashgari said there were things he liked and disliked about him. ‘Within the next two months the Shura Council will reveal the outcome of study on the regulations to combat the criticism of the basic tenets of Islamic sharia,’ unnamed sources with knowledge of the matter told al-Watan, adding that there could be ‘severe punishments’ for violators.” Read more.
No doubt, it was all for peaceful purposes …
Broadcast live on the BBC, the youth lunged from the crowd to try to take the torch from the hands of its bearer Anna Skora, but was swiftly bundled away by officers.
In one video posted to YouTube he can be seen waiting behind a car and as Ms Skora gets closer he lunges towards the torch.
Ms Skora was about to hand over the torch to Graham White, a Surrey charity worker, when the teenager burst out of the crowd and tried to grab it.
He managed to get through the line of police officers escorting the torch as it headed through the town.
One of the officers at the back of the group swiftly grabbed hold of Ms Skora and the torch, guiding them to the opposite side of the road.
Four or five of the other torch guards then bundled the man to the side of the road where he was then arrested.
Ms Skora managed to keep the torch upright throughout the ordeal and she continued to smile as she completed her stretch of the Olympic flame relay.” Read more.