UK: Muslim Man Charged With ‘Planning To Car Bomb London’s Olympic Park During Games’
Specialist police from London are in Blackpool, Lancashire, to speak to Javed Aktar who has been charged with making the deadly threat.
He is one of more than a dozen suspected terrorists arrested in the last week as security services try to ‘clear the decks’ before the Olympics start later this month.
Britain’s top expert on terrorism legislation, David Anderson QC, also said police and MI5 are ‘defending further up the field’ to avoid any 7/7 or 9/11-style attacks when London hosts the Games.
42-year-old Aktar is currently being held in custody and will appear before magistrates in Blackpool on Friday.
He has been charged with leading another person into believing that he had explosives, namely Semtex, in Blackpool with intent to cause an explosion.
He is alleged to have told someone that he had a bomb in his car and was preparing to drive to the Olympics in London and set it off.
Police were alerted when the witness managed to make a 999 call on his mobile phone.
Aktar is further charged with racially aggravated threatening behaviour towards a police sergeant.
At a court hearing earlier this week Aktar was remanded in custody.
Aktar is one of 14 suspected terrorists arrested last week.” Read more.